7.03.2008

Yo, Philly! stories about my DH

I woke up thinking about when I first met my husband and decided I would share some stories.

The 1st night I met J was while he was working as a bouncer at a local Irish pub. His supervisor introduced us after we both asked about each other. He didn't talk much and it was loud but i could make out that he talked funny. You know marbles in the mouth sort of mumbling.. So the next time I saw him I asked where he was from. He said Philly, I said "West Philadelphia born and raised?" thinking I was being cute and he'd get my fresh prince of Bel Aire reference. I was wrong, he didn't get it.. He said "No, Northeastern Philly, but my dad grew up in west Philly." so I had to explain to him my joke. He still didn't find it funny. Oh well! My best friend at the time when hearing that J was from Philly said "West Philadelphia born and raised!?" I said "That's what I said! but no he didn't even get it, I had to explain it to him!!" See I'm not the only one.

I like to annoy my dear hubby every now and then when people are on reality shows and are from Philadelphia. I always ask him if he knows them. I don't care how old or young they are, I will ask. I'm for sure that one day I'll ask and he'll tell me yes. During American Idol last season they had that crazy glitter girl audition that tried to sound like the chick from Jefferson Airplane. Anyway, we were watching the show with his parents, and i asked if he knew her. He said "HELL NO!" His mom said "Don't lie J! That's your ex girlfriend!" hahahahaha it was great that she chimed in with me and helped with the annoying.. Of course he never dated her, but it was a good one.
Now to go along with this story I asked him if he knew the guys from Boys II Men. He said no but his dad worked with one of their dads.. So of course I asked his dad! I said "you know Boys II Men?" He said "I know Shawn and his dad, but not the other guys." So I asked if he knew Will Smith and his dad, i believe i got something thrown at me.. oh well I guess you can't know everyone in Philly!!
J is waiting for the day that someone from Mtn View pops up on tv and he can ask me if i know them. I said "I probably do, it's not a big city. As a matter of fact I went to school with Megan Berwick!" then i had to explain who she is.. She played ZZ in salute your shorts... anyway he wasn't impressed.. But it's not really fair. When his family moved out to California they moved to the O.C., so he was just quick to tell me he went to school with DJ from Roseanne, Stephanie from Full house and Taryn Manning.. well aren't you just special.

Speaking of Boys II Men, I asked if growing up they dressed like Motown Philly style. Like boys II Men in there video. I got the craziest look from J and I believe he said "Please don't tell me kids out here actually dressed like that!" oook... "um, yeah they did.. that wasn't the cool thing to do??" He just laughed uncontrollably for a long time.. I guess us west coat kids are just dorky nerds.. I remember boys dressing like that for homecoming! nope not actually the style back in Philly.. who knew!

No comments: